[ODE] weird plane behavior

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Apr 5 11:58:26 MST 2007

Hi there,

I'm using ODE 0.8 (through PyODE) using 2d joints to keep things in 2d.
Most of the objects are spheres (circles in 2d). I'm having a problem
with GeomPlane now. I have 2 planes, one horizontal at y = 0, and one
vertical at x = 0, i.e. both are touching the origin:

horizontal: 0, 1, 0, 0
vertical: 1, 0, 0, 0

I now am trying to add a plane that's vertical and in the x direction,
for instance:

vertical: 1, 0, 0, 10

I would expect this plane to be 10 units in the x direction.

Instead when I start the simulation, my sphere seem to be moved at a
massive speed in the + x direction, through the plane and far beyond it.
When I try to move back (-x) the plane is there (as I can collide with
it). Anything else to the other side of the plane however moves rapidly
in that direction (and through it). It's as if physics misbehaves
anywhere where x < 10.

What's going on here? What am I doing wrong? Or could this be a bug?

Regards,

Martijn