[ODE] cylinder plane bug

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Wed Sep 20 12:57:45 MST 2006

Hello,

> A plane is well defined as infinitely thick.

Err, sorry? In 3D a plane has no volume, just as in 2D a line has no area... At
least mathematically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_%28mathematics%29

Specifically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_%28disambiguation%29 states:
"Plane (mathematics), theoretical surface which has infinite width and length,
zero thickness, and zero curvature".

If collision detection makes different assumptions than does geometry, they
should be documented, because people not familiar with collision detection will
use ODE.

Now that I know that different assumptions are made, I will of course use a very
thin box or a trimesh to do what I would normally do with a plane. Now I know
why the "water surface" plane I made once gave really weird results...

J-S

Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                        http://whitestar02.webhop.org/