[ODE] cylinder plane bug

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Wed Sep 20 08:11:24 MST 2006

Hello,

> > Personally, I think that the current behaviour of not generating
> > contact points if the whole cylinder is behind the plane is the
> > desirable behaviour.
>
> I think that's wrong,

I tend to agree with Bram. A plane is an infinitely thin, infinitely wide and
long part of 3D space. As such, it has no volume, and therefore the only way to
collide with it is to touch it (i.e. a solid can't be "inside" a plane).

Being completely "under" the ground plane is a special case that should be
handled in the application. Mathematically, there's no collision when something
is "under" (or "over", for that matter) a plane because "under" and "over" are
application-defined.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                        http://whitestar02.webhop.org/