[ODE] cylinder plane bug

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Wed Sep 20 07:02:35 MST 2006

Tomek Klin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was founded another bug. If whole cylinder is under plane then this
> fall forever.
>
> this is fix to this bug
> www.klinik.freehost.pl/download/collision_cylinder_plane.cpp

Hmmm... this may be a controversial one:
Personally, I think that the current behaviour of not generating
contact points if the whole cylinder is behind the plane is the
desirable behaviour.

If you start to 'rectify' the position of a geom that is far
below a plane, then huge forces are put on the body to get it
above the plane. I think that this will make the simulation
unstable, and it is better to let the body keep on falling.

   Bram

--
Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."