[ODE] Holding bodies like in HL2

Daniel Huser dhuser at 1eeurope.ch
Mon Sep 18 07:53:48 MST 2006

I don't have much ODE experience yet, but maybe you could actually hold
the object (after pulling it towards you as described in the How-To)
using a Hinge (with low and hi-stops of maybe +/- 0.05). Then you could
keep checking the joint error and if the error exceeds a certain value,
you could destroy the joint, which should nicely simulate some kind of
HL2-behaviour.

Should something like that work in ODE?

This all, of course, assumes you're actually moving your player around
using forces.