[ODE] Performance question

STenyaK (Bruno Gonzalez) stenyak at gmx.net
Thu Sep 14 16:50:20 MST 2006

I have a strange problem that i can't solve. I get low framerates in
certain situations.

My sim is a car sim. It has a car with a couple joints, suspension rods,
wheels and chassis. There are some dynamic trackside objects (cones,
boxes, ...) too. The tracks are a background plane (preventing from
falling to the infinite) and a set of meshes with which all objects and
cars collide.

I get low framerates (1-4 fps) when the car is standing still. If i
accelerate and the car begins moving, framerates seem to get better (30-50
fps). Also, adding some magic force in order to keep the car floating in
the air (that is, not colliding with anything) also seems to help (again,
30-50 fps).

I've tried the following:
Using dQuickStep instead of dWorldStep or dWorldStepFast1: i get a 10fps
gain when framerates are good.
Using basic autosleep: i get a 5 fps gain when framerates are good.
Replacing all the car suspensions with simple hinge2 joints: makes
framerates always stay at 30-50 fps, no matter what.

What could be the cause? I'm not willing to use hinge2 joints as
suspensions, since it's a too simple model. It looks like ODE speeds up
when the car is moving, so i guess the problem is not the number of joints
i use in the suspensions, but something else. Does this behaviour make
sense? What could be causing the slowdown, and how can i fix it?

Thanks for the help.

--
Saludos,
     STenyaK