[ODE] Plane-Cylinder collision: not good in 0.7, worse in SVN :(

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Sat Oct 28 00:34:17 MST 2006

Ah,

Excellent investigation!
Thanks

I should be able to work with this,
More later.

   Bram

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mauro G. Todeschini" <mauro2006todeschini at itia.cnr.it>
To: "Bram Stolk" <bram at sara.nl>
Cc: "'ode-list mailing_list'" <ode at q12.org>
Sent: 10/28/06 8:20
Subject: Re: [ODE] Plane-Cylinder collision: not good in 0.7, worse in SVN :(

Bram Stolk wrote:
> For me, cyl vs plane is OK for both geomoffset and trf geoms.
>
> Could you please do this test against svn-tree?
>
> - Run test_boxtest and press 'y' a few times.
>
> - Edit test_boxstack.cpp and change line 94 to:
> #define USE_GEOM_OFFSET 0
>   Rebuild, and re-run the test.
>
> For me, both cases are OK.
> I just tested this with current svn, on linux, with double prec.
Ok, the test you suggested works correctly in both cases but... I think
that changing the #define doesn't make any difference for cylinders (ie.
trf geoms are never used for cylinders). It only makes difference for
composite objects (which don't contain any cylinder, only capsules).
Try putting a printf after line 455 and You'll see that you never pass
from that line with cylinders.

In my application I discovered that the problem with planes and
transformed cylinders seems to happen when I define my plane like this
(gravity is dWorldSetGravity (world,0,-9.8,0);):

dCreatePlane (space,0,1,0,-20);

but the problem seems to disappear if:

dCreatePlane (space,0,1,0,0);

I think that the negative value in the first definition has something to
do with the problem.

Bye and Thanks