[ODE] Suggest a type of Licence for GIMPACT

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Oct 26 20:12:54 MST 2006

He *is* putting forth a functional argument; you're just choosing not to
read it for some reason that escapes the rest of us. :-)  If I'm a PS3
developer and I adapt GIMPACT to run on an SPU core, I can't release that
library's complete source code in compliance with the LGPL.  It is not a
matter of taste or religious preferences.  It's a matter of not being sued
into oblivion for disclosing Sony's IP.

I appreciate Francisco's contribution regardless of whatever license he
decides to adopt.  However, there are some very real reasons why BSD
licenses are more useful to commercial developers, and I'd encourage him to
give that some thought.  For example, with a BSD-licensed library,
proprietary-platform developers who can't release their entire library
source code can still offer feedback and patches if they'd like to give
something back to the community.  With LGPL, the library simply doesn't get
used in those cases.

-- john