[ODE] Suggest a type of Licence for GIMPACT

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 05:51:47 MST 2006

> The only drawback of LGPL is that you can't sell the
> idea that GIMPACT code is yours. It's mine, and every
> modification to GIMPACT code should be notified to the
> authors. Is it bad?
>
> I think that LGPL is compatible with ODE BSD licence.
> I'm wrong?

Yes, unfortunately. Under BSD, I can make a change to your library,
ship it in binary form, and  never return the changes to you. Under
LGPL, I /must/ publish my source code changes. Both licenses requires
that the original author receive credit via the copyright notice.

There benefits of LGPL are obvious: no one can fork your code without
your consent (you can always integrate their changes back to your
trunk). The benefits of BSD are more subtle but just as valid: I want
to make an optimization for the PS3, but because I am under a
non-disclosure agreement I am not allowed to tell you what I did. In
that situation, I can't use your LGPL code.

ODE maintains a dual license; you can use it under the terms of either
BSD or LGPL. If you are open to it, I think this is an ideal
situation.

Jason