[ODE] ODE .NET Bindings Performance Issues, Unsafe code, etc...

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 07:12:14 MST 2006

On 10/19/06, Gonçalo Lopes <goncaloclopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using the James Rayne's ODE.NET bindings for quite some time
> and I was pretty excited to hear that some official bindings were
> surging up in the main ODE development branch.

I'm the one who started that - but I am totally swamped right now
(again, sorry) and haven't been able to flesh it out. I will try to
answer your questions quickly. I hope to put some more work into it
after the EOM.

> Rayne's bindings used Managed C++ to directly access the C-API and

MC++ doesn't work on Mono on non-Windows platforms.

>   * separate the wrapper into two design levels: API bindings level
> (lower-level wrapper) and .NET level types and classes

I am producing an API binding; I have no plans for a class library but
welcome anyone else to take up the challenge.

>   * 'unsafe' code should be allowed in the lower-level wrapper to
> account for efficiency and 1:1 mapping (unsafe is not really unsafe...

If there is a compelling reason to use unsafe code, I'll use it. So
far there hasn't been. I'm happy to discuss a specific API call.

>   * prepare and approach a standardization of the unmanaged side ODE
> C-API following object oriented patterns

I'm not touching this one.

> Keep up the good work,

Thanks! Like I said, I hope to get back to it very soon. (did you ever
have one of those tasks that seemed so easy, but then just seems to
get deeper and deeper...and deeper? Yeah, that's me right now)

Jason