[ODE] dRFromEulerAngles interpretation

Mauro G. Todeschini mauro2006todeschini at itia.cnr.it
Wed Oct 11 03:33:03 MST 2006

Bill Sellers wrote:
> Either pick one of the standard versions or include all 24 (since
> some of us prefer a static frame to a rotating frame). There's some
> nice code by Ken Shoemake in Graphic Gems for converting back and
> forth between all 24 versions of Euler angles and quaternions.
There is something good in every e-mail of this discussion. I think that
It would be good to:
- rename the actual dRFromEulerAngles (to dRFromEulerAnglesDiscouraged
for example) but keep its code unchanged in ODE source, so that who uses
it can continue using it with minor changes (and he can be aware of
future changes). Remove dRFromEulerAnglesDiscouraged from ODE 1.0 on.
- add one (or more) function to get a rotation matrix from euler angles
but name them in a way that is clear what they are doing (rotations
sequences, reference system), or add parameters that control these aspects.
- stick with counter-clockwise rotations. there is no need to control
this aspect in the library (and counter-clockwise rotations seems to be
widely accepted for right-hand reference systems). If a user needs
clockwise he just have to negate the angles.

Bye