[ODE] which method is best for large scale terrains?

Matthew Reid f14_tomcat1 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:48:02 MST 2006

Hi.
I need a way to do fast collision detection on large terrain (2048x2048
quads or more). I've tried the terrainY contribution, but performance with
this is very poor. A single ray check across the terrain can potentially
lead to millions of calls to the getHeight() callback, and even for a single
vehicle with about 200 calls, my game performance takes a huge hit (25%
performance drop).

What's the most efficient method for doing collision checks on large
terrains? I've thought of using trimesh, but from previous experience with
another physics engine, loading and checking against a multi-million polygon
trimesh is out of the question. How is large scale terrain collision and ray
checking handled in commercial games such as battlefield 1942? Is there some
technique whereby the trimesh could be split up into a AABB tree...similar
to BSP collision?