[ODE] Boxes floating in a plane

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Nov 6 13:26:18 MST 2006

This is just an artifact of the way that the simulation works.
Simplified, I believe this is what happens: The gravity will pull the
object into a surface; the surface will generate a force that's
proportional to the penetration; the higher the gravity force is, the
farther the penetration will be before they achieve equilibrium.

When you are using floating point values for ODE simulation, the
recommendation is to stay close to the 1.0 range for masses. Thus, I
would scale my masses (and forces) so that they are in the range of 0.1
through 100 or so. Often, you cannot model, say, a coke can, and a car,
at the same relative mass, while retaining stable simulation, in
floating point. For this reason, I often use sqrt(mass) instead of
actual mass, for the "mass" property. It gives a convincing enough
result for gameplay.

Cheers,

          / h+