[ODE] Moving an island of bodies around by setting a position

Russell Bartley russellbartley at kromestudios.com
Thu Nov 2 17:07:43 MST 2006

The dBodySetPosition is fine, as I can set each body in the island turn but,

in the ODE 0.5 manual it says:

"After setting (position/rotation) a group of bodies, the outcome of the
simulation is undefined if the new configuration is inconsistent with the
joints/constraints that are present"

Does this mean that if only one body in an island of connected bodies is
moved through dBodySetPosition(), dBodySetRotation() that during the next
world update the joint constraints will try to move all of the bodies in the
island to a position that solves the constraints? Or something worse?

I'm assuming the former, which means that if I set the position of one of
the bodies in the island each frame, then this will force the rest of the
attached bodies to follow due to the constraints.

Am I worried about nothing?  I think I'll give it a go anyway.

Also is there an update to the 0.5 docs?

thanks

Russ