[ODE] GIMPACT with doubles

gero.mueller@cloo.de gero.mueller at cloo.de
Thu Nov 2 09:02:10 MST 2006

I agree that trimeshed don't always need to be doubles, BUT the quats
and vectors in the physics engine may  very well be doubles. How many
are there? I have about 100 Objects, with (wildly guessing) 30
floats/doubles, makes 3000 doubles/float. so if its 50k or 100k memory
is no real difference, is it?
And for the runtime, i guess with doubles you have less error, so you
need less "fixing" of any kind, less code to execute. So, i suggest
that the trimesh collision and the ode physics can use both, float or
double, and that one can chose for each package seperatly.
For my space game i use doubles for ODE and OPCODE, and it is not the
bottleneck ;-)

Gero