[ODE] GIMPACT with doubles

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 08:23:53 MST 2006

On 11/2/06, Martijn Buijs <buijs512 at planet.nl> wrote:
> Some time ago someone mentioned the way OpenGL does that. E.g. glTranslatef
> vs. glTranslated.

I think that might have been my idea; regardless I remember the
discussion. I guess I don't see why you would /ever/ need doubles for
object-relative coordinates like box side lengths or a cylinder
radius. How much does double-precision really buy you in the
quaternions and  rotation matrices? It seems like there might be a
possibility to reduce the memory bandwidth of the double-precision
build by identifying the places where the extra precision is actually
useful.

If there are no significant drawbacks, I'll drop it on the feature
request list and look at it...eventually.

Jason