[ODE] source tree on CD

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Fri May 19 00:09:44 MST 2006

Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:

>>Before: No, they are created on their respective source directory.
>>

> I've always found that property of most automake systems to be ugly.
> Your source may be on a CD -- it should still be possible to build it.

Oh, but it is!
That's the beauty of autotools... srcdir and builddir can be different,
and you can have as many builddirs as you want:
(the libs are written to the builddir, not the srcdir)

$ mkdir /tmp/single ; cd /tmp/single
$ /cdrom/src/opende/configure --prefix=$HOME/ode-single
$ make install

$ mkdir /tmp/double ; cd /tmp/double
$ /cdrom/src/opende/configure --prefix=$HOME/ode-double --enable-double-precision
$ make install

And there you have it: two trees, using the single source tree,
and not a single file gets written to the source tree using the builds.

   Bram