[ODE] Non capped cylinders

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu May 18 09:17:56 MST 2006

If you look in the code and contribs, there are several attempts, one of
which is starting to shape up but still has problems. It turns out that
flat-capped cylinders is a Hard Problem. (We should consider ourselves
lucky that it's not a Really Hard Problem :-)

Barrels are easily implemented using a ccylinder conjoined with a box (I
think the FAQ or Wiki has some mention of this) that lets it both stand
up and roll convincingly.

Car wheels have been done as spheres, or as rays, for a very long time,
but eventually, that'll probably be the driver for "really good
cylinder" support.

If you have spare cycles, taking the existing cylinder, and writing test
cases for it would be very helpful. Then deciding which cases fail, and
why, and fixing them (while not breaking anything else) :-)

Cheers,

          / h+