[ODE] Object hierarchies

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Mar 31 14:14:21 MST 2006

> Indeed, that's what I have heard and seen in a few other projects.
> Unfortunately, for this project we had just 3 months to make a small game with
> a 6 people team (who are mostly at undergrad-level and who all have other
> classes too). Of those six, two are modelers. We had a lot of graphical content

It's good to work within limitations.

It's even better for you, because both submarine hulls and torpedoes are
pretty well approximated by ccylinders! Make the tower of the submarine
a separate mesh, so it gets a separate ccylinder (or bbox) and you
should be in business.

Similarly, if the torpedoes are ccylinders, and the sea floor is a
plane, then the subs can actually be trimeshes -- because they would be
unlikely to collision test against each other. Trimeshes can move, they
just aren't stable when you test them against other trimeshes.

Cheers,

			/ h+