[ODE] ODE Documentation

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 30 17:18:54 MST 2006

If doxygen is introduced, it should be in parallel, rather than dropping
the current doc.  I like doxygen, but have found the "out of the box"
results leave much to be desired, especially compared ODE's the current
API document.

You just can't beat a high quality hand tailored PDF document, where
everything is put into its own logical section.  A good document is more
than just function definitions - each section has ideas that need to be
conveyed first, such as the concept of what a joint is.  If I add a half
dozen functions for offset geom, the document should have a new section
explaining the idea, not just regenerate itself with a dozen new
function hyperlinks on the main page.

Does anybody know where the "source format" for the current document
is?  If it were found, I would suggest a format for the API document be
the converted to the OpenOffice ODF format.  It is a standard format,
there are many free cross platform editors that use it, and OpenOffice
can natively convert to PDF (and perhaps HTML?).  Given how solid the
ODE API is, and how few changes there have been even now since 0.5, I
would think it would be very easy to keep it in sync.

So I would suggest three parts, at least in the short term:
 - User manual (wiki, etc)
 - API manual (single document, exported to PDF, HTML, DOC, etc)
 - doxygen interface

Geoff