[ODE] Object hierarchies

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Wed Mar 29 20:39:04 MST 2006

Hello Doron,

> I've been doing similar tree-like stuff for years,
> and what I use may help: ODE + Open Inventor

I'm aware of ready-made scene graph implementations. Unfortunately, I have to
stick with my program's scene graph system (the original developers rolled
their own - not what I would have done but I'm stuck with it).

Let me just clear up something before we go on the wrong track here. The
graphical objects and their meshes are rendered properly. The object
hierarchies are correct, and their relative transformations too. The problem I
have is how to convert that into "ODE-space". I'm making trimesh geoms for each
mesh (they're already relatively low polygon) but each object or "model" has a
hierarchy of meshes, and I was wondering what would be the most painless
approach to mirror that with ODE objects (body, geom, geomTransform etc.) so
that in every case (mobile or immobile object) I can just move the parent and
all the children follow (still in ODE). All that works fine in the engine's
graphical representation.

I hope that clarifies my questions. Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org