[ODE] Havok and NVIDIA present Havok FX at GDC 2006

Chris Ledwith cledwith at d-a-s.com
Tue Mar 28 11:58:51 MST 2006

erwin at erwincoumans.com wrote:
>> The hardware is very different. There is not enough conditional flow
>> control in the ATI/NVIDIA hardware to do "all" of physics (collision
>> detection; friction models; etc) at a sufficient detail level, except
>>

> Shader Model 3 gives enough control flow for interesting convex rigidbody
> physics, not just particle systems:
>
> An ex-collegue at Havok told me that GPU physics does run the entire physics
> pipeline (apart from the the broadphase) on the GPU. This includes collision
> detection, friction and constraint solver. The details about the collision
> detection are not to be disclosed yet, but it allows for stable stacking and
> thousands of convex objects on a static mesh. Also Havok GPU physics allows
> for gameplay physics already, the CPU side can request feedback from the GPU
> on a per-body basis. So it doesn't require to send ALL the body information
> (which keeps things fast).
>
> The Playstation 3 supports both Havok and Ageia accelerated on the Cell/SPU
> (and potentially GPU), no Ageia add-on.

Thanks very much for this info. I'm still dying to know more details and
comparisons (as I'm sure you are too). There's just not a lot of public
information yet to form a strategy for the next couple of years.
My impressions thus far are that both technologies (obviously) have
their advantages and disadvantages. But that the PPU is far more capable
of churning out physics-relevant (especially highly interdependent,
difficult to parallelize) calculations in one frame, which makes it of
greater value (from a technological standpoint), even if the throughput
back to the CPU turns out to be the same for both techs. Note that a PCI
express version of the PhysX boards is not yet available but should be
forthcoming.

I've seen videos of Havok's GDC demos of hardware accelerated physics,
but of course they were happening in extremely simple
programmer-art-style environments. I'm wondering about the distribution
of physics vs. graphics calculations in that setup, and whether a
single-GPU, single-PPU system would blow it away, even just for stacks
of bricks and piles of rubble (not fluid physics, for which I imagine
there's no contest). Of course this is all dependent on the contact
generation and collision resolution schemes employed too. PhysX seems
like it could handle greater *fidelity* at the same scale (egads, I'm
being swallowed by their marketing-speak).

-C