[ODE] Havok and NVIDIA present Havok FX at GDC 2006

erwin@erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Tue Mar 28 11:09:53 MST 2006

> The hardware is very different. There is not enough conditional flow
> control in the ATI/NVIDIA hardware to do "all" of physics (collision
> detection; friction models; etc) at a sufficient detail level, except

Shader Model 3 gives enough control flow for interesting convex rigidbody
physics, not just particle systems:

An ex-collegue at Havok told me that GPU physics does run the entire physics
pipeline (apart from the the broadphase) on the GPU. This includes collision
detection, friction and constraint solver. The details about the collision
detection are not to be disclosed yet, but it allows for stable stacking and
thousands of convex objects on a static mesh. Also Havok GPU physics allows
for gameplay physics already, the CPU side can request feedback from the GPU
on a per-body basis. So it doesn't require to send ALL the body information
(which keeps things fast).

The Playstation 3 supports both Havok and Ageia accelerated on the Cell/SPU
(and potentially GPU), no Ageia add-on.