[ODE] Havok and NVIDIA present Havok FX at GDC 2006

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Mar 28 09:48:39 MST 2006

steve1011 wrote:

> I believe nVidia and ATI are responding to Ageia's h/w by showing how
> physics can be accelerated using GPU's.

The hardware is very different. There is not enough conditional flow
control in the ATI/NVIDIA hardware to do "all" of physics (collision
detection; friction models; etc) at a sufficient detail level, except
for things like scary-big particle systems.

Graphics really is all about pushing things through a pipe of a
pre-determined length (although the length is re-configurable with
shaders); physics is more interdependent. That's what Ageia has going
for them. That, and the fact that you're not likely to throw multiple
$1,000 CPUs at the problem (if you were using x86 physics), when you can
throw a $200 add-in card at it instead :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+