[ODE] Havok and NVIDIA present Havok FX at GDC 2006

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 28 08:14:14 MST 2006

> Also, I believe GPU physics will be good for effects only. It won't be
> able to do high scale fluids/joints/collision calculations. This is where
> PhysX seems to have an edge. But nonetheless even if GPUs can accelerate
> effect physics, that can be a good start. It won't make much of a sense
> for single GPU machines but it would just make the crossfire and SLI more
> worthwhile and mainstream.

Well, I've been out of gaming for a while, so I don't know if this is still
true, but GPU makers were always bitching about how most games are CPU
limited, and so often GPU power goes to waste.  If you can use some GPU for
non-interactive physics content (particles etc), then that's a nice bit of
next-gen (if you will) optional eye-candy to chew up that leftover.
--
gl