[ODE] Havok and NVIDIA present Havok FX at GDC 2006

Mohsin Hasan mohsin.hasan at trivor.com
Tue Mar 28 08:14:04 MST 2006

Taken from http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/21/ageia_ps3_physics/

"Ageia today announced version 2.4 of its PhysX (SDK), which includes
performance updates for physics simulations on Sony's upcoming Playstation 3
(PS3). Rather than throwing complex physics calculations at the main PPU
(Power processing unit), "several components" of the PhysX pipeline have
been offloaded to the SPUs (Synergistic Processor Units) of the Cell
processor, Ageia said.

The changes in the SDK have resulted in a 50% reduction of maximum PPU load,
which should leave more room for processing game code in the PPU.

The availability of the SDK does not mean that Sony will be implementing
Ageia's actual physics chip into the PS3. Instead, physics capability will
be made availability through the threading feature of the Cell processor."

So I don't think they are going to support the PhysX chip in PS3. Though
they are providing the PhysX SDK to developers through PS3 devkit. Ageia
gets royalties so they are happy.

Mohsin

  _____