[ODE] TR: Cylinder / Sphere

LR logreg at free.fr
Fri Mar 24 11:41:35 MST 2006

Hi Bram,

I've made more test with the cylinders,

1] It's possible the contact distance problem was a visual effect ... I'm
not sure but it's possible.
But, The force of the contact is really too heavy. As you suggested, i
watched the _DEPTH_RECOVER_METHOD_ : its set to 0

2] I made some tests:

1) Cylinder Fall on a box:

   ---
   | |
   | |
   | |
   | |
   ---
----------
-        -
----------

Contactpoints : 10 for the cylinder (!!!) , 1 for the capsule
Visual Effect : OK, cylinder may takes 4 or 5 time step to stabilise
(ts=0.01s), 1 or 2 for the capsule ...

2) Cylinder Fall on a sphere:

   ---
   | |
   | |
   | |
   | |
   ---
  O   O
  O   O

Contactpoints : 1 for the cylinder, 1 for the capsule
Visual Effect : OK,

2) Cylinder Fall on a sphere (there is a problem ...):

|--------------|
|              |
|--------------|

  O   O
  O   O

Contactpoints : 1 for the cylinder, BUT the CONTACTPOINT IS INSIDE THE
SPHERE (NEAR SPHERE CENTER )
Visual Effect : The cylinder bounce with a hard force ...

2) Sphere Falls on a cylinder:

  O   O
  O   O

Contactpoints : 1 , ALL IS OK
Visual Effect : ALL IS OK

It seems that the speed of the cylinder impacts the location of the contact
point.

I've tested with the capsule and all is OK. An idea ?

Laurent.