[ODE] setting orientation of three bodies?

dvir schirman dvir_ode at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 08:21:08 MST 2006

    Hi

I am using ODE, in order to simulate a simple robot.
The robot is built out of three rectangular boxes, and two joints connecting them.
I am using hinge joints, because the robot should move only in the X-Z plane.

  I want to put the robot in a desired orientation. For example I want to set these angles:
theta0 - the angle between the highest box and Z-axis.
theta1 - the angle between the first and the second boxes
theta2 - the angle between the second and the third boxes
(As you can see in the attached image)

  I tried to use :
dRFromAxisAndAngle (dMatrix3 R, dReal ax, dReal ay, dReal az, dReal angle);
void dBodySetRotation (dBodyID, const dMatrix3 R);
  When I attached the bodies with "hinge joints".

But it didn't work. It rotated each body  separately, and didn't keep them together, then the hinges made the bodies come closer to each other, and ruined my desired orientation.

  how can I set a desired orientation using those three angles?

  Thanks.
   Dvir.