[ODE] fixing terminology?

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Fri Mar 17 07:13:43 MST 2006

Hi there,

Just checked out the svn trunk, and it builds just fine for me.
I have a bold proposal, don't flame me too hard :-)
As we are currently doing some overhauling (svn repo, thinking
about redoing docs, ODE_API prefixs, premake, etc), what if we
included another major change:

Rename "CCylinder" to "Capsule".
The reasons for this are:

1) Capsule is the proper math term, see Wolfram mathworld
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Capsule.html

2) Capped Cylinder is confusing.
    In the ray-tracing world, a Capped Cylinder usually means
    a cylinder that is not infinite, with discs (not hemispheres)
    at the ends. This corresponds to the ODE Cylinder class,
    not CCylinder class.

It may be a bit too far, but I'm curious:
is this a good or bad idea?

   Bram