[ODE] Trimesh-sphere collision detection debugging

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Tue Mar 14 15:02:58 MST 2006

Hello Jon,

> I would start by printing the body ID and the position of the geoms that
> are colliding. Perhaps the geom isn't actually connected to the body, or
> perhaps the bodys position is not where you think it is.

Most of this I had already tried. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I ended up making a basic geom sphere of some fixed size and testing that out
with only two objects in the scene (one mobile, the other not, but no terrain).
That worked. So I think I might be bitten by the trimesh normals thing I've been
hearing about. None of the trimeshes I have actually collide with anything, but
bounding spheres work.

Obviously, a bounding sphere for a terrain is a no-no, but at least I know my
transformations are synchronized between my renderer and ODE.

I'll try to integrate the trimesh normals patch and compile ODE, see if that
changes anything while I wait for the next snapshot release. Thanks,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org