[ODE] New release?

J. Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 12:45:40 MST 2006

On 3/14/06, Megan Fox <shalinor at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I agree that development is good, and that things will likely
> break in the testing process, dead-ifying (I dub this a real word) the
> stable branch has made for a scenario where broken code can find its
> way into an unknowing just-getting-the-latest-code developer's hands.
>
> Any chance that, before something is committed that is potentially
> death-inducing, someone could throw a post to the list to let us know
> "hey, don't go updating your stable code trees to CVS until we're sure
> this works"?

Updating against CVS on any open-source project always carries with it
a certain amount of risk. IMHO, Bram has been very conservative in
applying the patches, and all new features have been wrapped in
ifdefs. Unless someone is willing to start moving "safe" patches to
the stable branch? For my own project, I keep a copy in my local
Subversion repository, and every few days merge in any new changes
(which I can back out if I like).

I'm inclined to let CVS be CVS (or even better, punt unstable into
Subversion as the new trunk) and put the effort toward getting back on
a regular release cycle (and again I'm working on it, but like
everyone I just don't have a lot of time). I want to get to the point
where I can tell my users to just go download the latest ode.dll.

Jason