[ODE] New release?

Morgan McGuire morgan3d at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 15:19:06 MST 2006

I've been maintaining my own private build of ODE for some time; I use it in
the classroom with G3D (http://g3d-cpp.sf.net, which I manage).  My ODE build
is the unstable branch plus selective patches that posters have recommended.

I'd like to encourage more G3D users to also use ODE, but the current ODE
manual is out of date and the precompiled binaries on ode.org are 18 months
old.  ODE is also a bit tricky for novices to check out and build on their own
(look at how many news posts there are about this).

We experienced the same problem with wxWidgets and our solution was to release
our own precompiled binaries of their library:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=384217&group_id=76879
This helped new users get up and running quickly.

I'm tempted to do the same here and release my own pre-compiled ODE for Win32
with source.  However, I'm not in a position to handle the support requests
that would come in.  I'm also not terribly excited to fork ODE; I'd rather see
the existing ODE community release a new build and update the manual
themselves.

Is there any new release date scheduled?  Will UNSTABLE become the main branch?
 Does anyone own the manual?

-m