[ODE] Huge world vs precision problems

Deak Szabolcs ancient at ludens.elte.hu
Fri Mar 10 03:45:59 MST 2006

Sorry to say that, but scaling wouldn't help. The derives from the
relative range of elements in the world, 2500 km size versus e.g. 1 m
triangle. This relationship won't be changed by scaling the whole thing,
you could even make the visuals worse (by downscaling and then upscaling
for the screen - division followed by multiplication tends to lose more
precision in the computer world than multiplication followed by division).

What would help - as sy. mentioned - is relocating the origin of the
world every now and then according to the player's current position, if
that is feasible. You cannot change the internal precision of the video
hardware, so you're stuck with floats in the graphics.

Szabolcs