[ODE] Super bounce?

Andrew Arcilla andrew at lookaheaddecisions.com
Sun Mar 5 19:28:40 MST 2006

Hello,

I am trying to create a simple biped like creature using ODE.  I have built
a simple system to apply torques to the legs to try and make it walk.  But
when this creature tries to take a step, as soon as the first stepping leg
hits the floor, the creature literally gets launched into the air at an
incredibly high velocity, at approximately a 30 degree angle.  It eventually
lands 100's of meters away from its original location.  Does anybody know
what might be causing this and how to fix it?  I assume the problem might be
in my contact joints so I have tried a number of alterations of the surface
parameters, but with no success.  I have tried surface.mode = 0,
surface.mode = dContactBounce with a few different bounce and bounce_vel
configurations, and surface.mode = dContactBounce | dContactSoftCFM with a
few different configurations.  But the end result has been the same each
time.

Anyone have any specific suggestions?

Regards,

Andrew