[ODE] Returning to a previous state?

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 18:47:32 MST 2006

If one doesn't care for absolute repeatability, is there any problem
with only restoring the "obvious" data - that is, not hacking ODE to
get at the warm starting values, not inventing some strange metric to
save out the order in which bodies were added to ODE, etc.  Just
recreate all the same bodies and set all the same
velocities/torques/etc and start it up.

Will the results ever be massively different, or is it a minor difference only?

On 3/1/06, Andrew Arcilla <andrew at lookaheaddecisions.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Is it possible to revert ODE to some previous state S after having already
> stepped the system forward in time to some different state S'?  I assume
> this would be possible by saving a bunch of information from state S and
> then just setting that information later on, but maybe I'm wrong?  Is there
> something inherent to ODE that would prevent this from succeeding, or can it
> be done?  If so, what values would I need to save from state S?
>

> Rigid Bodies: positions, velocities, quaternions, anything else?
>
> Joints: angles, anything else?
>
> World: anything?
>
> Spaces: anything?
>

> Has anyone needed to do this before?  Your help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Maybe there is a different method available?
>

> Regards,
>
> Andrew

-Megan Fox
http://shalinor.circustent.us/megan/resume/