[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

David Walters hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 27 02:37:13 MST 2006

Hi Martijn, i'm writing to thank you for putting the work in on
getting this heightfield feature into a state where it can be used. I
look forward to utilising this feature - which will be suitable for
almost anything I can think of using it for. Your website is very well
presented and the documentation you have provided makes things very
clear - the screenshots make it obvious that a real game could be made
using this feature.

If you don't mind though, I have a question about a couple of
preprocessor options that are present in your code. I couldn't seem to
find mention of them in the readme, forgive me if i've missed
something:

Could you explain a bit about the RECOMPUTE_RAYNORMAL and DO_RAYDEPTH
options. I'm not familiar with GetDepth versus what seems like a ray
collision and would like to know which is likely to be faster, more
reliable, etc. What are the intended default options?

All in all, this is perfect for what i'd want to use a terrain for.
I've been using a trimesh for environment collision, but the inclusion
of a solid object representing at least some sections of my game world
should (if my early experiments with the plane geom are anything to go
by) greatly reduce the chance of my game entities getting stuck in the
ground! Thanks.