[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Jun 26 00:20:27 MST 2006

Martijn Buijs wrote:
> As for spherical (planet-like) heightfields, you'd probably need a new collider altogether (ever
> thought of how to store the height data for those?)

Well, as a matter of fact, I have :-) For There.com (which simulates an
Earth-sized planet, shard-less and zoning-less, not using ODE), we
represent the earth as a cube, inflated to look like a sphere. Each of
the six faces of the cube then contains displacement data in a regular
grid. Works pretty well.

Sorry, tangent. I can say that spherical height fields don't matter for
the floating point version of ODE anyway -- the spheres would be so
small that you'd notice the curvature too much. (Maybe for an asteroid? :-)

Cheers,

          / h+