[ODE] On the meaning of ODE stability (was some quick notes on 0; 6) ...

Terry L. Triplett c0d3g33k at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:20:46 MST 2006

Thanks for joining in, Justin.  I've been trying to be as polite and
non-confrontational as possible, but you've given voice to similar thoughts
I have whenever the "system-wide" gravitational field pulls a discussion out
of orbit.

My personal motivation isn't advocacy of "system-wide" (though I'm not
against it, for the reasons you mention), though I do need a shared library
for the same reasons as yourself.  I learned years ago that the package
management and community infrastructure provided by Linux distributions is
much better at managing my systems and keeping them in a consistent state
than "download/compile/install everything yourself."  The latter doesn't
scale, particularly when one considers all the different tools and libraries
found on a typical development system.

As such, I generally make local packages for personal use if something isn't
already available as a package.  From there it's an obvious step to make my
package available for everyone to benefit from by submitting it to the
packaging system (Gentoo in my case).  It's about sane management of my
system and time saving, not about trying to force ODE to adopt a "system
wide" philosophy.  The possibility of doing so is a side-effect of managing
a shared library, though, so I guess it is an issue that needs to be hashed
out.  As you point out, ODE seems to be out of sync with generally accepted
practice in this respect.