[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Jun 23 10:47:01 MST 2006

Geoff Carlton wrote:
> In case you are curious, I keep harping on about callbacks because I've
> needed it last time I used ODE terrain, in prototyping a large world
> where the heightfield was compressed to use a byte per vertex (with an
> additional float height per "section").  In terms of cost it boiled down

In the ideal world, the terrain would have a separate basis (or be
placeable, which would be the same thing), and would use a callback per
"chunk" of terrain needed. That way, you could decompress chunks of
terrain as needed, and speculatively pre-fetch neighbors, and implement
a large, streaming world.

Just sayin' :-)

Cheers,

          / h+