[ODE] On the meaning of ODE stability (was some quick notes on 0; 6) ...

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Jun 23 10:41:50 MST 2006

Each game will depend on specific bugs and quirks of specific versions
of ODE. A systemwide ODE shared library isn't all THAT useful in general
(other than as a checkmark), and is downright detrimental to software
compatibility moving forward.

Look what they did to D3DX: one new DLL every 2 months. d3dx9_24.dll,
d3dx9_25.dll, d3dx9_26.dll, ... and Microsoft has a LOT more people to
spend on ensuring games compatibility than ODE does. Let's put the
gunpowder where it matters (like collisions, joint types, etc).

Cheers,

          / h+