[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 11:27:19 MST 2006

On 6/22/06, John Miles <jmiles at pop.net> wrote:
> I'd be glad to integrate it as-is, but there have been some objections, and
> I don't think they're entirely invalid (just that they reflect priorities
> that I disagree with).  It *would* be nice if you could specify an arbitrary
> orthogonal basis at initialization time.

That is the big issue around here.

> And while I don't think callbacks
> are the right answer for user-owned terrain -- it's not unreasonable for a
> complex primitive to maintain its own copy of the data, the way OPCODE does
> for instance

OPCODE also provides callbacks, FWIW.

> -- I do agree that allowing local modifications to the
> collider's copy of the terrain is necessary for a lot of applications.  A
> subarea-replacement scheme might be the best way to do that.

As always, both would be best ;)  If the callbacks aren't your thing I
would leave them for someone else. Being able to set an up-axis is
more important IMHO.

> I'll spend some time looking at it, and see if there's some room to address
> the shortcomings that have been pointed out.  No guarantees,

Well now, this is open-source. No one would dream of setting
expectations ;)  Just getting the code into an 0.6 compatible state
would be a big win.

Thanks for looking into this; it will be a great addition to the library.

Jason