[ODE] Resistance on bodys.

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jun 15 07:33:57 MST 2006

The documentation (and FAQ) clearly states that rolling friction is not
modeled, so no, there's no simple flag you can turn on.

What I do is apply a slight counter-force and slight counter-torque to
each body each step to dampen the system. This also models rolling
friction. In C++ terms:

  Vector3 lVel = body->LinearVelocity();
  Vector3 aVel = body->AngularVelocity();
  float mass = body->MassScalar();
  body->AddForce(-mass * LINEAR_DAMPENING * lVel);
  body->AddTorque(-mass * ANGULAR_DAMPENING * aVel);

Values for LINEAR_DAMPENING in the 0.002 to 0.02 range seem to work
well, as do values for ANUGLAR_DAMPENING in the range 0.005 to 0.05, but
it all comes down to your simulation constants and step size.

Cheers,

          / h+