[ODE] Trimesh collision problem

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Jun 12 10:04:19 MST 2006

Richard Watton wrote:
> I have a problem with sphere-trimesh collisions. If the sphere has a fairly
> high velocity, it will pass straight through a trimesh with no collision at
> all (dCollide returns 0). However, it will collide with a plane.
> I've set dTRIMESH_ENABLED=1 and using single or double precision makes no
> difference.

A trimesh is an infinitely thin shell. If the sphere moves further than
its own diameter in a single step, it may/will tunnel. The solution is
to use smaller time steps, or use swept primitives for collision. Either
a ray cast between centers, or a capsule covering the sphere's
trajectory will do the trick in this case.

Cheers,

          / h+