[ODE] Trimesh collision problem

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:05:35 MST 2006

On 6/12/06, Richard Watton <nomad at nantinet.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a problem with sphere-trimesh collisions. If the sphere has a fairly
> high velocity, it will pass straight through a trimesh with no collision at
> all (dCollide returns 0). However, it will collide with a plane.
> I've set dTRIMESH_ENABLED=1 and using single or double precision makes no
> difference.

A trimesh has no concept of "above" and "below", unlike a plane. So if
your sphere passes completely through the mesh in one time step no
collision will be returned. There is a heightmap contrib that can
handle this case.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has come up with a workaround for
this problem, maybe I can write it up on the wiki.

Jason