[ODE] solving penetrations "statically"

Erin Catto erincatto at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 8 22:55:09 MST 2006

ODE uses a PGS solver. I believe QuickStep has something called Projected
Successive Over-Relaxation (PSOR). PSOR has a tuning parameter (omega). When
omega = 1, PSOR is reduced to Projected Gauss-Seidel (PGS).

I think it would take a day or two for someone familiar with PGS and ODE to
enhance ODE as I described. You describe an excellent unit test for any
implementation of this new algorithm (perhaps we could call it Split PGS,
SPGS).

BTW, I tried this in my Box2D engine and it worked well.

Erin