[ODE] Player's Avatar Motion

Ecker, Bryan R Bryan.Ecker at iff.navy.mil
Thu Jun 8 08:07:47 MST 2006

Hello experts,

I just found ODE very recently, and I've been working with it a lot -
and so far, I've integrated it into a simple game engine demo that I was
working on for the purposes of learning ODE and refreshing my OSG
knowledge.

Anyway, I'm a complete noob at this, and although it's very intuitive,
and straightforward in a lot of ways, I've run into a snag, and I'm not
entirely sure where to begin looking for a solution.

What I've done is made a simple demo arena - a 100m square room with 10m
high walls (although in reality, the walls are infinite planes, as is
the ground). The "player" is currently represented by a 1 by 1 by 2 cube
which is supposed to represent the player's avatar bounding box.

The player, obviously, is supposed to move around the arena based on
user input. I've achieved motion by applying force to the user in the
direction I want it to go, but the box topples over, and rolls around as
if someone were pushing the box, instead of moving around of its own
volition, with a sense of balance. Also it ricochets off the walls
(often to an upward angle) instead of coming to a stop, like a game
character would.

Actually, this behavior is quite expected, and looks very natural (if
you imagine someone there who's applying force to the box) - but it's
not what I want. How would one go about simulating self-propulsion -
either a player walking/running/jumping, or a car driving, or something
like that?

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but I've found no beginner
tutorials for ODE, and I'm having trouble coming up with a solution that
works.

~BRE