[ODE] solving penetrations "statically"

Dirk Gregorius dirk at dirkgregorius.de
Wed Jun 7 12:25:07 MST 2006

>> You can't do that if your nonpenetration constraint equations are expressed
>> in velocity like ODE. You always have some drift in position.

You can't do what? The method of Erin is first correct - see for example
the thesis of Bradley Cline - and
secondly works perfectly in practice. Especially in the context of game
development. Each position constraint
imposes a (hidden) velocity and acceleration constraint to the system.
If you have a velocity constraint you also
have geometric constraint as well (I must admit that I am not sure for
friction constraints), but definitely for
non-penetration constraints and joints.

-Dirk