[ODE] solving penetrations "statically"

Anton Shekhovtsov anton at creoteam.com
Wed Jun 7 00:19:53 MST 2006

Hi!
I want to solve penetrations (collisions) in such way that in result all contacts stay exactly on the surfaces of bodies, and there is no remaining motion.
I assume such solution must behave correctly with arbitrary penetration depth (taking that contacts are correct).
This must be useful for example during initial scene setup wnen it is just loaded.
(As I currently understand collision solving in ODE, contacts cause forces applied which make bodies move with their velocities etc. This does not suit the problem.)

How can this be achieved? What techniques apply? Any suggestions would be appreciated.