[ODE] ODE 0.6: configure script

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Thu Jul 20 09:07:15 MST 2006

Julien Lollivier wrote:

>First, thanks for your answers !
>

>>Its likely that your Linux distribution doesn't add the path
>>/usr/X11R6/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf file or the global library paths
>>by default, the other apps and libs you mention probably take measures
>>to add the -L/usr/X11R6/lib flag in order to include it durring link
>>time. Fedora doesn't present this problem, I think (but I am not sure)
>>Debian doesn't either, so you must be using some other distro. :)
>>

>Right, I'm using a Mandriva 2006.0, but /usr/X11R6/lib is already in my /etc/ld.so.conf. Correct me if i'm wrong, but ld.conf.so is used during runtime, not during compilation ?
>Using "strings /usr/bin/ld", I don't see any reference to /usr/X11R6/lib, that's probably the problem.
>
>The job of configure script is not to detect such things and add suitable -L arguments ?

You're right, thats for runtime dinamic linking, yes, configure's job is
to detect those things, but the standard scripts for doing so didnt
worked so I took them out, we cannot hardcode the paths because they may
not exist and then we get different problems.

>>Regarding HAVE_STDLIB_H, you are probably getting an "already defined"
>>warning right? if so, you can manually change [...]
>>

>That means that no one can use "vanilla" libjpeg and libode without being flooded by warnings ? :)

Sadly, yes, in both libjpeg and ODE config.h is misused, config.h (and
similar headers) is meant to be used only during compilation for setting
compilation time variables, its not meant to be installed as part of the
library distribution, which is exactly what both libraries do, at this
time, rectifying the situation is not so easy, so that will have to wait.