[ODE] Proposal: Change Heightfield Origin

Justin Couch justin at vlc.com.au
Thu Jul 13 10:32:08 MST 2006

Martijn Buijs wrote:

> Actually I've worked with USGS datasets before, and have never come across double precision data, I
> assume they exist but are probably rare. But I agree we should a 'double' path, if only for the sake
> of completeness.

Both DEM and DTED run in double precision. At a higher level, the VRML
and X3D file formats only specify terrain in double precision. On the
graphics side of things we end up doing a lot of local reprojections to
try to keep rendering down to single precision that is implemented by
the graphics card, but that's expensive calculations - particularly if
you're doing it every frame as we would in a dynamic LOD'ed terrain
environment.

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java Architect & Bit Twiddler              http://www.yumetech.com/